Thanks for the time invested today. Very engaging discussion.
Recap of the topics and next steps:
- Brainstorm ways to Influencing the Driver License Change for International Students
- Is that a real problem? Do we have a sense of how many students have cars / apply for driving licenses? Universities should know how many “Driver’s License Letter Request Form” are generated per year.
- Amend state law to eliminate the barrier which limits driving privileges of international postsecondary students in Ohio. Correlate the expiration date of the international student’s Ohio driver’s license with the automatic extension date provided under federal law. Under current law, the student’s driver’s license expires on the date the education program ends, rather than on the date that the student’s “legal presence” is automatically established by federal law.).
This topic was discussed on the Immigration/International Action Team on Tuesday, September 15, 2015, in relationship with an update from the Ohio G.R.E.A.T program. Based on that discussion, Eleodor brought the question “should we play here?”.
Ron provided his perspective – it is a real problem, and has been one that has been on the discussion phase for two years. Guidance from Mary Stagman (Diverse by Design/ Chamber of Commerce) was to not engage on the topic for now, and we all agreed that the focus should be on the Career fair for now.
Eleodor will bring this back 90 days from now, end of OND, to check progress and if we want to engage at that time.
- Planning for Career Fair for International Students March 9th
We discussed the draft attached plan. Key risk for the event is the employers engagement. We discussed communication materials, employers education pre-event, employers recruiting plan, risks and mitigation plans.
The ask for Help: Please look at the “prime prospect” list here. If you are in Career Services, please add your name and commit to contact at least five employers from that list, or add employers that can attend the career fair. The list is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qzuyTODqlttTA7iEO5mAUwjas4v2h6TlswQHZ9mIHvc/edit?usp=sharing
- Lisa Witt (University of Dayton Career Services) invited our team to attend an event on October 1st from 12-2 – flyer attached. First of all, thanks Lisa! Please let her know if you plan to attend.
WHAT | Dan Beaudry, former head of campus recruiting at Monster.com, shares the job search system used by many international students to find U.S. employment.
WHEN | Thursday, October 1, 2015 from 12:00 – 2:00 PM
WHERE | Boll Theater
WHY | H-1B’s are won in ways you likely don’t expect. Find out what you need to do to obtain a position.